Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review of Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

 
Unearthly
By: Cynthia Hand
Review by: Kaede

Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 435
Star Rating:  / Go out and buy this now.

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see, I like to think about Unearthly like this:

Before there was Hush, Hush, before Halo, before Fallen; there was Unearthly. The book that set the unreachable standard. But we all know that I may have tweaked the details a bit. Unearthly was in fact released a considerable (two years, not counting Halo) time after the books mentioned. But not only did it suceed it's predecessors of it's genre, it was one of the best. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on the other angel books. However, they pale in comparision to this one. I adored Unearthly in all it's beautiful glory. (See what I did there? No? Then read the book!  *cough, cough* It's an angel thing.)

Okay so, why don't we play a little game of truth and dare? Hmm? Sorry, I don't take no for an answer. You're playing whether you like it or not. So this is how it's going to go:

Your Dare: Put the book you're currently reading down, run out to your bookstore in your pajamas, and get a copy of Unearthly and read it.

After you completed that task, you have to answer this question truthfully. (Meaning you have the say yes, 'kay?)

My Question: Did you like the book?

Your Answer (Remember what I said!): 

Do come back and tell what you think though.

Now fans of this book will probably expect me to squeal over one of the two potential love interests. And believe me, you have right to expect such thing. So if you must know, I guess I could tell you.




I say my choice is quite reasonable, agree? I mean c'mon, have you seen (or in this case, read about) him? What's not to love? And that cover. The designer certainly knows what she/he is doing.

If you have bad experiences with angelology in books, Unearthly will probably throw your negativity out the window. And as for the release of Boundless in 2013?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A different version of this review can be found at: Goodreads

Contact me at: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com







15 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVED Unearthly. Tucker <3

    I got the UK pbs because they had also had Hallowed out whereas the US pb was not released. Regretting it like mad now. =.=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... :/

      And right? Isn't Tucker awesome? ♥...↨

      If Clara doesn't end up with him in the end, I'll shoot that arrow through her heart. -__-

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it! I actually LOVED Unearthly as well! Didn't think I would given some of the awful angel books out there are out there. And I rarely do teams, but I'm definitely Team Tucker!! There's seriously no comparison. Can't wait to see what you think of Hallowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I've already read Hallowed.♥ Haha. And the only thing I can say is that was one freakin' rollarcoaster of emotion. Team Tucker is the way to go! :D I'll post my review of Hallowed soon! ☺

      Delete
  3. I LOVED this one! Soooo can't wait for the next one to come out! I'm on team Tucker!! :D Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Glad to see so many Team Tuckers! Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews. >;D

      Delete
  4. Unearthly was so amazing! <3 I loved it so, so much! :D

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award:

    http://theyoungbookcollector.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! We at Wake Up At Seven definitely appreciate that! ♥

      Delete
  6. really nice
    New follower
    please follow back at iqbal462.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete